Ayurveda for sexual health
The three pillars essential for sustaining a healthy human life are food, sleep and sex. Ayurveda, the science of life gives as much importance to sex as to food and sleep.
The ancient sex science book “Kama sutra” also explains the same and also adds the importance of Ayurveda therapies (Vaji Karana – Aphrodisiac therapies) for improvement of sexual life in men and women.
Ayurveda and its emphasis on sex
a. Sex is an integral part of our daily habits (Dina charya)
b. The ideal time for intimacy is at night, about two hours after dinner
c. An absolutely satisfying sexual union, when developed over time, bestows you and your partner with health and vitality.
d. For best results, each of the partners should be physically and emotionally involved with the other.
e. Touch, smell, food, music and ambience play a vital role in developing, increasing and prolonging intimacy.
Perverted or unsatisfying sex has adverse effects on mental and physical health, as it aggravates the functional elements (doshas) and reduces immunity.
Foods such as milk, meat soup and boiled rice along with ghee, oil, meat juice, sugar and honey improves sexual vigour for both men and women.
Talking about your needs, desires and concerns with the partner can bring the couple closer together and help enjoy better sexual intimacy.
Ayurveda recommends the intake of cheese, milk, eggs and coconut milk to improve sexual desire.
Herbs to improve sexual health for both men and women
Ashwagandha (Withinia somnifera) – Is beneficial to improve sexual health in both men and women. It is known to cure premature ejaculation, impotence, erectile dysfunction and weakness.
Shilajatu - It is a resin formed from decomposed plant matter. It not only helps in sexual dysfunction but also helpful in anti-aging and rejuvenating properties.
Atma Gupta Mucuna pruriens (Velvet Bean) – To improve fertility.
Curculigo orchioides (Musali) – Regular use of the powder mixed with ghee acts as aphrodisiac.
Asparagus racemosus (Satavari) - The root of Satavari is consumed in the form of juice, paste, decoction or powder and is used as an aphrodisiac.
Buchanania lanzan (Priyala) - The kernel is powdered and consumed with milk as an aphrodisiac.
Emblica officinalis (Amalaki) – The fruit and seed of Amalaki is used in the form of powder and the juice is used as an aphrodisiac.
Semecarpus anacardium (Bhallataka) - The nuts, oil and flowers of this herb are used in the form of paste and the oil is used as an aphrodisiac.
Tribulus terrestris (Goksura) – The whole plant is used in the form decoction and the powder is used as an aphrodisiac.
Ayurvedic therapies to improve sexual function in both men and women
Ayurveda is the first system to have dedicated a specialized chapter called ‘Vaji Karana’ to improve the sexual life of both men and women.
1. Abhyanga (Ayurveda full body massage) – Stress is relieved through Abhyanga, a unique method of medicated oil massage, which improves blood circulation, tones up the muscles and relaxes the body.
2. Pizchil or King’s Therapy – The whole body is subjected to streams of lukewarm medicated oil with simultaneous soft massage. More than three liters of medicated oil is used in this method. This therapy protects the body from illnesses and builds up immunity for a healthy life. It is very useful for rheumatic diseases, arthritis, paralysis, sexual weakness, neurological disorders, blood pressure, and nervous weakness and helps to slow down the aging process.
3. Navarakizhi - A massage to the body with small cotton cloth boluses filled with cooked Navara rice after a liberal application of medicated oil. The rice is cooked in cow’s milk and herbal decoction. The boluses are dipped in the same mixture of cow’s milk and herbal decoction and applied all over the body to induce sweat. This procedure is highly rejuvenating, nourishing and prepares the individual to bear the stress and strain of a busy life style. It enhances physical consistency, strengthens the nervous system and improves the overall appearance of the skin. This is a strengthening fomentation employed in neurological disorders, rheumatism, arthritis and malnutrition of limbs. This is very effective in improving sexual health.
4. Ksheera dhara - Herbal milk is poured over the forehead or over the whole body. This is a great therapy for people suffering from headaches from Vata and Pitta predominance, insomnia and mental tension. It improves sexual interest in women
5. Kati Vasti – A specially prepared warm herbal oil is poured over the lower back and retained inside the black gram paste boundary for the required duration. The healing properties of herbal oils used for this therapy deeply cleanses and enriches the blood, builds and maintains strong muscle and connective tissues, and lubricates the joints keeping them flexible and pain free. It alleviates lower back conditions like lumbar spondylosis, inter-vertebral disc prolepse, lumbago (low back ache), and sciatica. It improves nervous function and blood circulation to male/female reproductive organs which in turn improves the sexual functions.
Source: Dr K Gowthaman, Medical Director, rVita (rVita Ayurveda Centers)
Image: Flickr Creativecommons DenisDefreyne