Ayurveda Q&A: Common Ayurveda weight loss tips
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director, Dr Gowthaman’s Ayurveda Panchakarma Center, Chennai, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. i am aparna 23yrs old.. i delivered a boy baby 6months before… normal delivery only….. i was only 65kgs before delivery after delivery my weight gained to 85kgs…. i harldly want to reduce my weight again to 65kg now i am breastfeeding my child. pls help me out sir pls…
In Ayurveda, there is no single approach to treating obesity. Depending on the Prakriti the medications, purification therapies and diet etc varies. For example, for a vata dominant person, the vata purification therapies like cleansing and Oleation enemas are part of the treatments. Abhyanga and herbal steam bath does play a major role in Vata type of person’s treatment plan.
For Kapha type obesity, treatment plan includes external powder applications with giner, mustard etc. If the obesity is due to excessive accumulation of toxins (Ama dosha) both internal medications and external applications are advocated.
Common Ayurveda weight loss tips
a. Use of barley, green gram, red gram and horse gram is recommended
b. Honey is recommended in minor doses
c. Always drink warm water to eliminate the toxins
d. For cooking use sesame oil/mustard oil. Spices like turmeric, black pepper, ginger and rock salt are advised for weight management.
e. Vegetables with astringent, bitter and pungent taste; soup with such vegetables as diet improve weight loss
f. Avoid sweets prepared from wheat, cakes, pastries, milk and sugar, cold drinks, alcohol, deep fried foods and non vegetarian diet.
g. An active physical life is very important to prevent and manage weight gain. Staying awake at night and sleeping in the day will increase fat accumulation which in turn ends up in obesity.
h. Ayurveda recommends herbs like Amrutha (Tinospora cordifolia), Mustaa (Cyperus rotundsa) Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula), Bibhitaka (Terminalia belerica) and Aamalaka (Embica officinalis) for prevention and management of this condition.
i. Ayurveda recommends a special weight loss recipe called “Takra Arishta” – Fermented buttermilk for active weight loss
More than everything I strongly recommend the SIMPLE APPLE DIET which is very effective and a safe weight loss diet for lactating mothers. Just take one apple before breakfast, two before lunch and one before dinner followed by your regular food intake. Take this for 120 days you will lose at lease about 5-7 kg without any exercise.
2. Sir, i am suguna (45 years old female) and i hand pain in my both shoulders from last 8years. But now the pain was severe from 2 years. I did CT Scan and the result was normal , doctors suggested analgesics. i experinced stomach disturbances and other side effects. i had an strong belief that AYURVEDA will work naturally with out any side effects. please help me sir..
Yes, Ayurveda can help you feel better.
The Ayurveda treatment protocol is primarily focused on normalizing the vitiated vata dosha and to rejuvenate the affected tissue. Since this condition may also be related to stress, Ayurveda recommends a holistic approach with Ayurveda medicines and therapies, life style modifications and diet, minimized exercise and yoga. Herbs like Guggulu, Aloe Vera, Ashwagandha, Turmeric, Giloy, Dry Ginger, Shallaki etc for prevention.
These herbs are well known muscular and stress relaxants and anti inflammatory with no side effects which helps to prevent and to manage this condition. 3 gm of Cow’s ghee as diet too is very effective to prevent and heal the shoulder pain.
Ayurveda therapies for shoulder pain
Do not use any stronger, vibrant massage therapies for this condition as it may further worsen the condition. Only a gentle application of warm medicated oil followed by herbal steam application improves the condition in no time.
Kati Vasti: Ayurveda recommends this therapy as a specialized care therapy for this condition. A bridge is formed on the upper back bone with flour power and warm medicated oil is filled for the period of 45-60 minutes. This helps the muscles and ligaments to relax and heal; improved blood circulation heals the tissues. This treatment usually advised for 14-28 days depends on the condition.
Ela Kizhi: Warm medicated oil application followed by warm Herbal bolus on the affected part improves the stiffness and pain. This therapy is recommended for 7-14 days depends on the condition
Mamsa Navara Kizhi: This is one of the specialized treatments for Shoulder pain even for sports injuries. Red meat, medicated rice, vata normalizing herbs processed with milk, made as a bolus. After the gentle application of the warm oil, this bolus is applied on the affected parts for 30-45 minutes without pressure. This treatment usually suggested for 21-28 days depends of the condition.
These three above treatments is suggested alone or in combination depends on the condition.
Ayurveda recommendations for shoulder pain
a. Avoid – sour, salty foods and drinks, curd, deep fried foods, Maida, Suji, pulses and various by products of pulses
b. Take – Bitter gourd, drum stick and Neem flowers as diet helps
c. Wheat helps better than rice
d. Add more fibers and water as constipation may increase the condition
e. Avoid – Exposure to cold, cold water bath, violent exercises without proper guidance
f. Improve the milder physical exercises like walking, Surya Namaskara etc.
As a pacification therapy, Guggulu Thiktakam Kashayam tablets 2 numbers thrice daily 30 minutes before food with warm milk and Recalci 2 tablets thrice daily after food helps. External application of Maha Masha Thailam followed by warm water bath after 30 minutes improves the condition.
3. i am daibetic.having frozen shoulder for last one month.Phsibleysical exercise is not pos in my nature of proper medicine to relieve pain.exercise in
Frozen shoulder usually treated with Both Ayurveda medicines and therapies with Diet and exercises. The therapies and medicines vary from person to person.
Ayurveda therapies for frozen shoulder
1. Abhyanga – Application of medicated oil all over the body followed by herbal steam bath – This increases the blood circulation all over the body especially on the affected joints indirectly helps to improve the healing. This is very effective to prevent frozen shoulder and other joint problems for Diabetic and Psoriasis patients.
2. Pizchil – Application of warm medicated oil on the affected joints. This improves the movements and reduces the pain in no time. This treatment improves the condition better than surgery. Patients usually after 24-21 days of this therapy come back to normalcy both in terms of functionally and physically.
3. Mudga Navara Kizhi – It is a special Ayurveda formulation with Green Gram, Rice, herbs and milk. All boiled together and applied as hot paste in and around the affected joint. This rejuvenates joint and physically increases the hylourenic acid in the joints. This treatment usually recommended for 14-21 days after Pizchil to rejuvenate the joints.
As a pacification therapy Dasamoolam Kashayam tablets 2 -2 thrice daily 30 minutes before food with warm milk with cervilon and Gandha Thailam capsules each 1 improves the condition. Shiva Gutika 1 tablet thrice daily after food helps preventing the complications of Diabetes especially Frozen shoulders
My usual suggestion / Home remedy as follows
1 part of green gram + ½ part of fresh ginger – soaked in water for 2 hours, both grinded and made as paste. This paste is applied over the shoulder after warming the pan for 5 minutes. Cover it with a cloth and leave it for 15 minutes followed by warm water shower. This not only reduces the pain but gradually improves shoulder movements too.
4. age 51yrs,suffering vitiligo since one year. where did u buy this bakuchi tail and which company product.kindly reply
At my practice, Bakuchi is oil prepared as follows
Step 1: Bakuchi seeds are soaked in Cow’s urine in day time and dried in night time. This process is repeated for 21 days. Then this powder is dried under sun for a day and made as powder
Step 2: 2 litre of water and mixed with purified Bakuchi seeds powder 500 gm boiled until the mixture become 1 litre. Filter and this infusion are taken.
Step 3: 4 litres of water + 1 litre of the above infusion + 1 kg of this purified powder + 8 litre of cow’s urine is mixed together and heated on mild fire until the water content completely goes away.
This oil is then filtered and preserved. This Bakuchi oil is one of the very effective remedies for Vitiligo and Psoriasis.
I don’t know of any company preparing this oil in this manner. Please call Limra Ayurveda agencies in Chennai at 044 – 2481 2453/ 9940079511 – they stock this oil and courier it across the country to Vitiligo and Psoriasis patients.
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.