Ayurveda Q&A: Home remedies for vitiligo
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director, Dr Gowthaman’s Ayurveda Panchakarma Center, Chennai, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. Sir, we live in coimbatore. My son aged 9 has vitiligo around his eyes. it started last year as a mild patch near his eyebrows. we gave allopathy treatment….once we stopped the drug it has again re surfaced….now the patches are more prominent…please advise me
Vitiligo in Ayurveda is effective but requires long time medications and treatment. More than the medicines diet and stress free life plays a vital role. There is a common myth about the Vitiligo that it cannot be cured, but contrarily, remarkable repigmentation can be achieved in every patient and its spread can be arrested provided the patient follows dietary restrictions and takes appropriate treatment for the prescribed duration.
Home remedies for vitiligo
1. Take 5 teaspoons of turmeric powder and mix in 250 ml of mustard oil and apply on the white patches of skin, twice a day, usually advised for a period of 12-15 months.
2. Application of Sweet Basil leaves extracts with lemon juice, advised for 5-6 months.
3. Most of the Indian traditional practitioners advise water kept in a copper vessel for overnight as diet
4. In Eastern India, where there is less sun, this is a widely advised remedy: Tamarind seeds and Psorolia seeds (Bakuchi Seeds) are soaked in water used to clean rice for 7 days. It is then ground into a paste and applied on spots to give immediate results. I have a personal experience in this preparation. It is very effective, however for some people it resulted in burning sensation and boils.
5. Fresh ginger juice with Bakuchi powder mix – Obese persons and with spots on high muscular areas (Widely advised in India)
6. Application of radish (white) seeds with vinegar is widely practiced in Calcutta. 50 gms of seeds with 15 ml of Vinegour
7. Many parts of Kerala advises Bakuchi Seed powder with Coconut oil as external application
8. some specialised practitioners in Kerala advises the following as diet for 40 days with external applications – 600 gm raw cucumber and 3 betel leaves three times a day and food made from bitter gourd.
9. Ginger Juice with red Clay as external application in karnataka (some parts).
Vitiligo is like cold, cough it can affect any one in any part of life. The western medicine helps in reduction of symptoms and most of the times it ends up with complications. Ayurveda medicines and therapies, diet helps to resolve the condition swiftly and permanently.
2. sir am hcv pationt since 7 years.i only taking sidha med.due to some reason i seek a well care giver.am temple devaram singer[odhuvar] i have a 5 year old child.,my first report says fatty liverand partially distended.am searching lord siva who will save my life through people like u.please help me
Ayurveda, Yoga and diet can help you. More than medicines drinking adequate amount of water, avoiding sour, salty pungent foods and drinks, oily foods and drinks alcohol, non veg foods and drinks can improve the condition in no time.
Ayurveda and Siddha both are same in terms of principle, treatment and medicines. The only difference they have is in terms of availability and language.
Please continue the existing prescription, with that add one of the following remedies
Herbs, effective for protecting the liver
a. Andrographis paniculata (kalmegh) – Andrographolide, the active constituent isolated from the plant Andrographis paniculata, showed significantly increased the percent viability of the hepatocytes. For centuries Andrographis has been an important herb in the Asian healing systems of Ayurveda, Unani and Traditional Chinese Medicine. Traditionally this herb has been used to potentiate immune system response to inflammation and infections, and as an anti-inflammatory, antipyretic (lowers fevers) and a hepato-protective.
b. Phyllanthus Amaris (Bhuiamala) – Phyllanthus Amaris has been researched for its effects on hepatitis. Clinically reported that 22 of 37 cases of Hepatitis B lost their “carrier” status after using the herb for a month.
c. Boerhavia diffusa (Punarnava) – An alcoholic extract of whole plant Boerhavia diffusa given orally exhibited hepatoprotective activity. The extract also produced an increase in normal bile flow suggesting a strong choleretic activity.
d. Eclipta alba (Bhringaraj)- Was significantly restored by Ea. The study shows that hepatoprotective activity of Ea is by regulating the levels of hepatic microsomal drug metabolising enzymes.
e. Swertia Chirata(Chirayata) – Simultaneous treatments with S. Chirata caused improvement at both biochemical and histo-pathological parameters.
f. Terminalia belerica (Baheda) – Induced physiological and biochemical alterations in the liver. Administration of compound I led to significant reversal of majority of the altered parameters. Our results confirm the presence of hepato protective activity in altered parameters.
g. Tenospora cordifolia(Guduchi) – Outstanding results in people suffering from jaundice have been obtained using a herb called Tenospora Cordifolia used the herb in malignant obstructive jaundice.
h. Noni Juice or capsules plays a vital role in HCV. I suggest you to take 15 ml of Noni Juice + 100 ml of warm water twice daily before food or 2 tablets thrice daily before food with warm water does help.
3. please advice me as i want to gain weight. I have heared that navara kazhi the ayurvedic treatment helps in gaining weight? Also suggest me some centers in pune which provide this treatment. Thanks.
Weight gain involves many factors one of them is nutritional supplements and sleep. Check these two. Yes, Ayurveda Navara Kizhi has a vital role in improving the weight.
There are many Ayurveda centers around Pune – Follow the link for more details – http://bit.ly/Nt832W
4. I have acidity and back pain problem ,i want to your appointment ,can you share your contact details
I practice at Chennai. Please call 99400 79511 / 044 24812453 for appointments
5. Hi Doctor, Is this sugumaram kashayam tablet is good for air coming out through vagina with sound.
Sukumaram Kashayam is good for all Apana Vata disorders like disorders related to bladder, uterus, reproductive disorders, bowel movements etc. It naturally improves the downward movement of Vata. But, I advise you to consult a Ayurveda Physician before taking any such medications.
6. Hi, I m 26 year unmarried girl, & having this malasma problem on my cheeks. Will u plz suggest any ayruvadic treatment for this.
Melasma in young women related to nutritional deficiencies. I have already explained many home remedies for this condition. I have just shared it again for your reference here
As a pacification therapy, Ayurveda recommends a special eight fold therapy for a period of 28-40 days for complete cure. This facial therapies helps improves the blood circulation in the skin which in turn detox and rejuvenate itself. Even though the results are slow, it yields better results than any other chemical or Modern medicine based creams
1. Gentle application of fresh aloe vera juice followed by warm water wash: Modern researchers do accept it as aloe vera contains mucilaginous polysaccharides which has a significant result on lightening the dark spots. Ayurveda recommends this application on face should be a gently one and to be done for 15 minutes.
2. Application of Orange skin fresh or powder mixed with milk – It is very good skin exfoliator which can lighten the skin discolorations in no time. Gentle application followed by warm water wash after 30 minutes
3. Application of turmeric powder mixed with warm milk – 5 tablespoon of turmeric powder mixed with 10 tablespoon of milk and applied all over the face followed by warm massage for 20 minutes helps followed by warm water wash
4. Almond paste with honey as pack for 15 minutes followed by warm water wash after 15 minutes
5. Application of fresh lemon juice with gentle massage followed by warm water wash after 10 minutes
6. Onion seed paste application followed by warm water wash after 15 minutes
7. Thulasi leave paste pack followed by warm water wash after 15 minutes
8. Finally 10 minutes pack with Thriphala choornam for 10 minutes followed by warm water wash (Ayurveda recommends using Thriphala Kashayam for face wash helps both in prevention and cure, Ayurveda also recommends 1 tablespoon of Thriphala choornam at bed time with warm water also helps in healing)
7. i have developed OA ( Knee joint pain).i am 64 years old. It is diagnised as OA by Allopathy doctors, after an xray. Tthis is since last 6 months. pain is presently mild& bearable. Hence, i continue to be active/ walking etc. can u pl. suggest remedy ?
Start practicing water therapy that is walking inside the water for 30 minutes a day. This water therapy is specifically improves the inter articular liquids which in turn helps the OA to slowly come down.
Ayurveda medicines like Rasna Yoga Raja Guggulu kasayam 15 ml + 45 ml of warm water twice daily30 minutes before food + Zeotone capsules 2 numbers. Ortho capsules 1-1-1 after food with warm water helps too. External application of Dhanvantharam Thailam followed by warm water wash after 30 minutes does help.
8. Respected vaidyaji, You were kind enough to suggest me on 3-4-2012 for my ailments ADHATODA VASICA JUICE. However despite my best efforts i have not been successful in getting the same in Hyderabad.Inwill be highly obliged if you advise me name of the company /pharmcy where i can locally
procure the same.
Hi Nitin Kumar,
Instead of Adathoda Vasica please take Noni; it has good clinical results. Take 15 ml of Noni juice + 100 ml of warm water twice daily in empty stomach. This Noni is available in all leading Medical shops.
9. I need to take a permanant treatment for Cervical Spondylosis, therfore canyou please let the know the produre and duration I should stay and the toatl charges
Ayurveda medicines and therapies can very well help. But lifestyle and exercises play a vital role in solving this problem.
Dasamoolam Kashayam 15 ml + 50 ml of warm milk – Twice daily 30 minutes before food with 2 cervilon tablets can help you a lot.
External application of Dhanvanthram Thailam followed by warm water bath rejuvenates the muscles and tissues which in turn helps you.
Ayurveda therapies like Kati Vasti, Pizchil and Navara Kizhi can solve this problem completely.
10. Hi Doc,I have a big problem of hair fall. please help me how to stop hairy fall and how to long my hair in a secure way please doc please help me .
Amla Powder 50 gm + 50 ml of fresh curd + 10 ml of fresh lemon Juice – Apply as a pack followed by warm water wash. Continue this therapy for 40 days. This will completely stops the hair fall and improves a hair growth. Check your water, nutritional intake and sleep.
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.