Ayurveda Q&A: Improve liver and kidney functions
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director of rVita, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. I am 37 years old working women as an office assistant. no colestrole, no sugar and no pressure. But i have fatty liver and calsium oxelate stone in my kidney. My doctor sugested that, this is not a critical problem. kidney stone is not in a problem area. liver function test is normal. I have no stomech pain but iave back pain.My doctor suggest me to one month calcium tablet. Kindly suggest which medicine to cure my condition
Drinking adequate amounts of water may improve both Kidney and liver functions. Improve your fiber intake. Less quantity of food with regular intervals helps. The following herbs are known for its positive effects on Kidney and liver functions most importantly detoxification functions. Andrographis paniculata (kalmegh), Phyllanthus Amaris (Bhuiamala), Boerhavia diffusa (Punarnava), Eclipta alba (Bhringaraj), Swertia Chirata(Chirayata), Terminalia belerica (Baheda), Tenospora cordifolia(Guduchi), Picrorhiza kuroa (Katuki) etc. Anyone of these or the combination of all the above 1 table spoon boiled in 100 ml of water for five minutes as herbal tea twice daily in empty stomach improves the condition and prevent further damage.
The following home remedies will help:
a. Juice of Tenospora cordifolia with honey once a day in empty stomach
b. Black salt with Tomato juice once a day detoxifies the liver and Kidney
c. Fresh Papaya or carrot juice are very effective home remedies to protect Liver and Kidney functions.
Ayurveda medicines like Thiktakam Kashayam tablets + Punarnavadi Kashayam tablets – Each 2 thrice daily 5 minutes before food with warm water, Aarogya Vardini gutika + Gokshuradi Guggulu + Navaka Guggulu – Each 1 tablet thrice daily after food with warm water and Avipattikara Choornam tablets 4 tablets at bed time helps.
2. sir, my cousin is suffering with melasma i.e pigmentation since 2 years she used lots of medicines but no use please help her sir because of she is rejecting her marriage proposals and she is fed of with that and using medicines and creams also please give us some solution for that waiting for your answer
Ayurveda can help. Maha Thiktakam Gritam – External application followed by warm water wash after 20 minutes helps a lot. in 30 days usuage you can see the the spots disappear. Internally please take Maha Manjishtadi Kashayam tablets 3 twice daily 30 minutes before breakfast and dinner with warm water. Kaseesam (101) 125 mg twice daily after food with warm water. These combinations of internal and external medications helps reduce the dark spots swiftly. Use it for 30 days and let me know the feedback
3. I have been taking Sarpagandhahan Vati for the past 1 month (1 tablet in morning and night) and my BP is still in the range of 135-90…Is it good to continue the same. I am on a good exercise regime and walk about 90 minutes every single day, however the range still remains the same without changes. Also i have a creatanine level of 1.3 (the lab report says a range of 0.6 to 1.3) is it because of BP? what medications to follow in Ayurveda…I want to try Ayurveda before moving to alopathic medicines. Please suggest…
The higher creatinine levels shows the renal functions are slowing down which could be due to hypertension.
You may have to detoxify your body. High blood pressure has many causes. starts from simple high salt intake to stress. Understanding the life style and food habits and smallest changes can bring back the normalcy. Please follow these life style and food advises for better help
a. Avoid salty, spicy, oily foods and drinks
b. Drink at least 2-3 liters of warm water a day
c. Practice simple yoga and Pranayama, this can help you more than medicines
d. Add one Guava, pear, apple, Pomegranate, orange in diet as fruit.
e. Take more fibers and eat adequately to avoid constipation as most of the times constipation plays a vital role in hypertension
f. Panchakarma: (Ayurveda detoxification therapy) Niruha basti Chikitsa: (non unctuous enema) will be beneficial in hypertension and should be given by experienced physician.
g. Dhara therapy is also helpful in treating obstinate cases of hypertension. Oil processed with bala (sida cordifolia) and milk is allowed to drop in small droplets on the forehead of the patient.
h. Foods like eggs and red meat should be minimized from the diet. Protein intake also needs to be reduced.
i. It would be ideal to stick to a vegetarian diet comprising fruits like watermelon and Indian Gooseberry and food like milk and cottage cheese.
j. Intake of caffeine and tobacco products should be reduced to keep avoid hypertension.
k. To bring the blood pressure down, garlic mixed in buttermilk should be consumed daily. Garlic is ideal for keeping blood pressure under check.
l. Ayurveda medicines like Hyper 1-1-1 and Shilajatu (101) 1-1-1 thrice daily after food with Punarnava Asavam 30 ml helps to control the blood pressure effective like modern medicines.
Life style and diet changes can bring wonders in hypertension than medicines. Please consult a Ayurveda physician and explain about your lifestyle and other health problems, get a personalised health plan, follow it for 3-6 months. Then as per the direction of the physician slowly you can withdraw the modern medicines which you are currently taking for Hypertension.
4. I am Pavithra, working as software engineer in Bangalore. I am suffering lower back ache and pain is radiating to left leg, from past 4 months. When I diagonised last month, got to know I have bulging disc at L5-S1 area, from MRI scan. The MRI report says, very mild bulge is observed and there is no significant Nerve compression. Observed only nerve narrowing (some left……..). I am taking halopathic treatment. There is some improvements, but improvement is not so significant. Some says Ayurveda treatment is good, some says not good (I am confused). Could you please guide me, whether I continue Halopathic treatment or could I change it to Ayurvedic treatment ? Also, if you suggest to switch to Ayurvedic, can you please tell where can I take treatment in Bangalore ?
Yes, Ayurveda therapies and medicines can help you better than any system of medicine. To be precise back pain and sciatica these conditions are best dealt with Ayurveda. Following Ayurveda therapies are advised for this condition depends upon the nature of pain.
a.Pizhichil: Pizhichil, which literally means squeezing, a cloth dipped in warm medicated oil is squeezed over the patient’s body. The patient should be made to adopt the seven standard positions so that no area of the body is left uncovered. Benefits include Relieves body pain and muscle spasms, Helps preserve and promote optimum health, Helps in the healing of fractured bones, Increases immunity and prolongs life span, Promotes development of muscles, Improves skin complexion, Anti aging and rejuvenating, Ensures better blood circulation, Alleviates the burning sensation in the body, A soothing and relaxing procedure, Prescribed in clinical conditions like Paraplegia, Hemiplegia and other degenerative conditions. This treatment is very useful for rheumatic diseases, arthritis, paralysis, sexual weakness, neurological disorders, blood pressure, nervous weakness, diabetes, blood pressure, fits, convulsions, paralysis and helps to arrest the aging process. It is very effective in asthma and even in tuberculosis in early stages.
b. Kati Vasti: Lukewarm Ayurvedic / herbal oils are poured into a artificial bridge created around the affected area (Knee, Lower back, Neck etc). The healing properties of herbal oils used for this massage enriches the blood and builds and maintains strong muscle and connective tissues. Loosens stiff joints, helps to cure cervical spondlitis, neck pain, paralysis and numbness of hands, Stimulates and nourishes nerves relieving pain and numbness, This treatment is very effective in treating different conditions of the knee joints like arthritis, degenerative conditions etc.
Please follow the below list of medicines for 30 days, it will improve your health condition
a. Dhanvantharam Kashayam tablets + Dasamoolam Kashayam tablets – Each 2 -2 before food with warm milk
b. Cervilon + Lumbaton capsules – Each 2 thrice daily after food with warm milk
c. The following home remedy is very effective for you. 100 ml of milk + 200 ml of milk + 5 gm of fresh garlic – all boiled together until the mixture become 100 ml. Filter it and have it once a day in empty stomach. This will help improving the blood circulation to the affected tissues and muscles and in turn heals this condition swiftly.
5. i m 27 yrs female & want to lose weight as soon as possible. after delivery my weight is increased. As I am a Vegetarian I intake only fruits & vegetables. With this I do some of exercise (skipping) & have lost some of the inches. I usually takes tea with raw chana. I never miss my Breakfast which contains stuffed chapati or chapati with seasonal sabzi. The same diet plan for Lunch & for Dinner. As I am a working women office timings are 10 to 6 PM & whole the time we are sitting on our chairs. So the belly comes out & it looks very awkward. kindly suggest some home remedies
The most effective remedy is the ‘Simple apple diet’ – Very easy to follow and a result-oriented one. Please follow this for 90 days for better results. Just take 1 apple before breakfast, 2 before lunch and dinner. Drink at least 2-3 litres of water a day. Sleep as much as 6-7 hours a day. If your delivery was less than year ago then do not do skipping as you may end up with hernia.
Do cycling, if possible go for a 30 minute walk inside the water in a swimming pool every alternate day. This can reduce belly fat in no time.
Dubli capsules are very effective in reducing weight, especially belly fat. It is slow in action but very safe to use. Take 2 tablets thrice daily 5 minutes before food to help you lose weight and get back your original physique.
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.