Ayurveda Q&A: Prevention of osteoarthritis
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director, Dr Gowthaman’s Ayurveda Panchakarma Center, Chennai, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. What is the treatment for knee joint pain. i am diagnosed as suffering from OA. i am 64 yrs. 75 kgs. normal built.
5.10 height. very active person. vegetarian. clean habits. no other ailment.
Weight is also a concern. Please consider your calorie intake for weight management.
Ayurveda therapies for prevention of management of OA.
Ayurveda recommends therapies for prevention as well as for the management of this condition. Ayurvedic treatments for OA vary depending on the condition of the patient and the severity of the disease. Ayurvedic treatments for OA consist of detoxification therapies (Pancha karma), oral medicines and diet regulations. Snehanam-(Oleation), virechanam- (purgation), abhyanga-(massage), pradeha, pralepa-(medicated packs) and basthi-(enema) are the treatments suggested in the treatment of gout
a. Abhyanga (Oil massage) – It increases the metabolism, which leads to better tissue respiration and circulation, causing the body to flush out its waste products more efficiently. It helps in alleviating rheumatic disorders. It improves flexibility, softness and firmness of the skin and for long life. It is the most ancient method used to remove muscular fatigue and pain.
b. Pizhichil (Oil bath)- In pizhichil, lukewarm medicated herbal oil is poured all over the body. This treatment is very effective in rheumatic diseases like arthritis, Gout, nervous weakness and nervous disorders. This treatment is prescribed not only for rheumatic ailments (vatic disorders) but also for many other diseases like diabetes, blood pressure, fits, convulsions etc.
Home Remedies for osteoarthritis
A. Apples are good for OA
B. 3 ml of lemon juice mixed in 100 ml of water, thrice daily helps the kidney to detoxify thereby helps in the detoxification process
C. 30 ml French bean juice said to be effective in OA. It has to be taken for at least 30 days as one course
D. Cherries play a vital role in improving the anti oxidants in the system. Some naturopaths recommend 10 fresh cherries a day to keep the OA in control.
E. Carrot juice mixed with the juices of beet and cucumber acts as diuretic hence it is recommended for OA
F. A charcoal bath is a good Home Remedy for OA. Mix in old basin one half cup of charcoal powder with water until a paste is made. Place affected foot into the basin and add water until the foot is enclosed. Steep your foot in the charcoal bath for thirty to sixty minutes.
Ayurveda medicines like Guggulu Thiktakam Kashayam 15 ml + 45 ml of warm milk twice daily 30 minutes before food with one Recalci and Ortho tablets improves the condition. As a long time preventive and prevention remedy Gandha Thailam capsules and Recalci each 2 tablets twice daily with warm water helps.
External application of Dhanvantharam Thailam followed by warm water bath after 30-45 minutes helps improving the muscular blood circulation and there by reduces the degeneration, inflammation and pain
2. I am suffering from Irritable bowel syndrome, acidity, indigestion, constipation for the last 10 years, due to these disease i am feeling weakness at the end of the day, feels tired during office hours. i have taken experts advice from gastroenterology at Vellore, and also Homeopathy and visited Kankhal, Ramdevji’s ashram, Haridwar. but problem remains same. i need your advice and also seeking for help to come out. i am 39 years old male from West Bengal, Durgapur.
IBS is a speciality of Ayurveda. Ayurveda medicines and therapies, Diet and Exercise can help. Fresh Curry leaves (5 gm) + Fresh Ginger (2 gm) + Fresh Coriander leaves ( 2 gm) as paste with buttermilk in empty stomach will ease the condition.
Medicines like Dadimashtaka Choornam (3 gm with buttermilk 1 hour before food), Musta Arishtam (15 ml + 45 ml of water thrice daily after food) + Dhanvantharam gutika 2 nos swiftly helps to relieve IBS and leg pain. Medicated oil bath with Dhanvantharam Thailam helps to relax the body and mind which in turn rejuvenate the body.
Also add Indukantam Kashayam 15 ml + 45 ml of warm water thrice daily 30 minutes before food to improve digestion and metabolism, strength and acidity and constipation. Avoid spicy, alcohol, salty, oily foods and drinks, doing yoga and physical exercises etc would help.
3. Hi sir,I got sun tan on both sides of my cheeks and it got cured. But the scar is still there. And my skin is also become much sensitive. Please suggest me some remedies to take off the scar. And to improve my skin complexion naturally.
Waiting for your reply sir..
Thank you so much!
Maha Thiktakam Gritam – External application followed by warm water bath is an excellent remedy to improve skin complexion and to treat skin damages. Improve water intake, add drumstick leaves soup as diet to normalize the skin sensitivity. Ayurveda medicines like Manjishtadi Kashayam tablets 2 – thrice daily 30 minutes before food with warm water and Kaseesam (101) and Arogya Vardini Gutika helps to improve the skin complexion and heal the skin from inside.
4. Dear Sir, Thanks for my earlier question and i also mentioned below Thyroid level from blood test. please suugest if any ayurvedic medicine for Thyroid?
FREE T3 – 3.13 ml
FREE T4 – 1.22 dl
TSH – 6.77
Thanks and regards
Yes, Ayurveda can help you both normalizing the Thyroid functions and reducing the weight. The following treatment protocol is followed to manage this problem
1. Detoxifying the body with cleansing therapies – This enables the organs to perform better and decrease the levels of free radicals which are the primary cause for Tyroid malfunction
2. Improving the anti oxidants levels in the body otherwise called as Rejuvenating the body Add more Drum stick leaves and sticks in your diet. This will improve the Tyroid levels naturally.
3. The diet of a thyroidism affected person should include lots of vegetables and fruits, whole grains, seafood and lean protein.
4. The diet should also include selenium. This can be found in Brazil nuts.
5. A person with this disease should take several small meals instead of a few large ones. Each of the small meals should not exceed 300 calories.
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.