Ayurveda Q&A: Remedies to improve appetite
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director of rVita, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. Dear Doctor, My husband is suffering for from stomach pain for past many years. He has tried all sorts of treatment to no avail. He has undergone endoscopy but nothing was found. He feels pain, if he is hungry. This usually happens at around 11.30 a.m, early evenings and early mornings. His sleep is disturbed because of this.
a. Give food in limited quantity at increased times. Instead of having food or snacks just three times a day, increase the frequency of food intake. But make sure you are adding lots of fibers without carbohydrates. This will keep his stomach acids engaged and slowly, physiologically he will become alright.
b. Drinking adequate amounts of water would also help
c. Maha Thiktakam Kashayam tablets, 3 nos – twice daily 30 minutes before food with warm milk, Shanka Bhasma 2 gm thrice daily after food with water and Avipattikara Choornam – 1 tablespoon at bed time with warm water would help.
2. Dear Doctor, I am 38 years old and have having hairfall, with patchy baldness with itching on the top portion of my head. Please suggest any good solution to stop this hairfall and increase the density of my hair.
Hair fall may be due to malabsorption, poor iron and folic acids synthesis or imbalanced protein intake. Hence, it requires both internal and external medicines and therapies
1. Thiktakam Kashayam tablets 3 nos twice daily 30 minutes before food with warm milk, Sudharshanam choornam tablet 2 no, thrice daily after food, Loham (101) powder – 250 mg thrice daily after food will help in metabolism.
2. Application of paste prepared out of Amla powder, fresh curd, egg white, 5 ml fresh lemon juice as pack on the scalp followed by wash after 45 minutes everyday will improve the hair growth and reduce hair fall in no time. Repeat this every alternate day for 40 days.
3.Use any Aloe Vera based shampoo for hair and Scalp wash.
3. sir I am suffering for a long time for UNWANTED HAIR IN FACE , sir plez help me to REMOVE PERMANENTLY WITH Ayurvedic treatment. plez plez sir help me, its looks very odd ,i reguler do waxing once in a week ,my skin become black shade . I hav already contact for LAZER TREATMENT BUT ITS VERY EXPENSIVE ,IS IT SAFE OR NOT THERE IS ALSO A BIG PROBLEM. SO i wud like a ayurvedic treatment or give me any effective home remedy.
Hair in the face may be due to hormonal imbalance in the body. There may be hypothroidism, PCOD or are you taking any contraceptives for long time? or are you around 40 reaching menopause? What are your exercise habits?
This requires systemic and metabolic corrections. Drink 3 liters of water a day and do walk about 30-45 minutes. This will indirectly help in detoxification and improve the hormonal functions. Take more fresh fruits, (fruits, no juices), green watery vegetables etc would bring balance in the system.
Guggulu Thiktakam Kashayam tablets – 3 nos twice daily 30 minutes before food with warm milk, Rasa Sindooram (101) – 125 mg thrice daily after food, Maha Thiktaka Gritam external application followed by warm water wash after 45 minutes on hair areas would help.
4. Hi please suggest remedies to improve appetite
Simple and most effective home remedies to improve the appetite would be
a. 10 gm of dried grapes, soak in a glass of water at 4 pm, drink and eat this at bed time. This is very effective remedy to kindle the appetite even in children, aged etc
b. 100 ml of milk + 200 ml of water + 5 gm of fresh ginger, mix and boil this mixture until it becomes 100 ml. Filter and take it once a day in empty stomach. This will improve the appetite and digestion too.
5. Dear doctor. i am 46 yrs old. i feel very tired in summer though i drink a lot of water and dont go out in the sum much. is there any effective home remedy to prevent this?
1. 100 ml of milk + 200 ml of water + 5 gm of Indian Asparagus root (Satavari), mix and boil this mixture until it becomes 100 ml. Filter and take it once a day in empty stomach. This will improve the condition in no time.
2. If you are not a diabetic, then take ‘Matulunga Rasayanam’ – 1 tablespoon thrice daily after food.
3. Loham (101) powder after food with warm water improves the blood circulation and Oxygen intake thereby indirectly helping you.
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.