Dermatology Q&A: Adult acne? Help is at hand
Dermatological Surgeon and Consultant, Dr. Anand Krishna answers readers’ questions on dermatology. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Thursday.
This week’s answers:
1. i am suffering from ringworm for the last 3 to 4 months. i have tried many medicine and ointment but cure. please advise me.
Assuming you have persistant Ringworm infection you are either not using the correct medication, or doing something adverse.
Do not apply any creams / oils to give you relief which it will do though your fungus would increase like wild fire.
Take tablet Sebifin 259 mg 1-0-1 after food.
Take bath 2 to 3 times daily and use a ketoconazole based powder AM after bath.
Use Sebifin cream to the lesions bedtime after bath.
If Sebifin is not available try Zimig.
The tablets should br used for about 14 days ie 28 tablets and the external applicants could be continued for a month.
2. My daughter is 13 yrs old. She has some black spot on right side of her chin for the last about 5 years. We consulted with a Skin Treatment doctor n they hv given medicine for that but there is no change. Now a days it is increasing, it looks very bad. pls suggest me some remedy.
Based on the information given by you I can only think of a Naevus or birthmark which has appeared 5 years ago and is increasing in intensity. Please consult a reputed Dermatologist who should clarify the same though do agree to a biopsy. There are lasers available to treat the same.
3. I am saritha 27 years old. I am facing skin problems like acne, scars on the face.and skin looks very dull .Let me know what kind of care i have to take care to over come this. Could you suggest me the good face cream to apply on the face as a basic foundation to my face as a regular cream. My hair is curly and little fuzzy . Now i am using Lorel professional shampoo and conditioner. Is that good. Please suggest me otherwise.
You have adult acne which is stress induced so please join some meditation classes and do not think of using a foundation which will only make the condition worse.
You may maximum use Calamine powder and lipstick. There is nothing special with Loreal though you may continue using it if you are comfortable.
4. hello dr. the palms of my hands are very rough. I apply moisturiser daily twice, no help. Please suggest
Dear Poornima, You may need an ointment containing 6% Salicylic acid twice daily along with this take Aquasol A
twice daily for a month followed by a gap of 1 month. repeat.
5. I have a fungal infection on my toe nail. When I use candid for 2 or 3 months it goes, but comes back after I stop. What do I do?
A toe nail takes approximately 6–8 months to grow and only then will it be eradicated from the nail bed and you will have a brand new nail devoid of any disfigurement.
Send in your questions on skin-related problems to firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Dermatology FAQ` in the subject line.