Skincare at night: Dos and Don’ts
At night, while you sleep, your skin goes into rest and rejuvenation mode. In the absence of environmental stresses like the harsh sun, it’s easier for your skin to heal and repair at night time. So give it all you can to make that happen.
Five must dos at night for healthy, beautiful skin:
1. Do use a mild cleansing lotion to remove the day’s makeup, bacteria dirt and grime. Pay special attention to your eyes, if you use eye makeup.
2. Do apply an alcohol-free toner to remove and residual dirt and enable better hydration and nourishment of the skin.
3. Do moisturise your skin. If you are above 30, used a nighttime specific anti-aging cream/serum on your face, neck, chest and hands to nourish and repair the skin. If you are below 30, use a good nighttime moisturiser depending on your skin type. Make sure to moisturise your face, necks, hands, and feet.
4. Do apply a light eye cream to provide nourishment to your under eye skin. Remember, the skin under your eyes is very delicate, and needs special care.
5. Do pay attention to your lips. Apply a light lip balm before you go to bed. In fact, keep some by your bed-side. Reapply in the morning, before you get off bed.
You have seen dos, here are 5 don’ts for healthy, beautiful skin:
1. Don’t leave makeup on overnight no matter how exhausted you are.
2. Don’t pull and rub your skin. Your skin undergoes enough stress during the day, so don’t further damage it by pulling and rubbing it harshly.
3. Don’t ignore your neck, chest, hands and feet. They are equally important. In fact, your hands and necks show the first signs of ageing. Look for anti-ageing ingredients like vitamin A and vitamin C in your products.
4. Don’t sporadically take care of your skin. Your skin needs TLC every single day. More so at night when it repairs damage.
5. Don’t over-dry your skin. Many women make this mistake, especially if confronted with pimples. When your skin is stripped of its essential oils, it increases sebum production to make up for the loss. This is what clogs your pores, causing pimples. A gentle cleanser, toner and moisturiser can help prevent this additional damage.
Get your beauty rest!
The body depends on sleep for everything it does, thus sleep is very essential for good skin. Skin cells are one of the most rapidly rejuvenating cells in the body. If you take away adequate rest, the cells will suffer and it will show. At least a minimum 6 hours of sleep is a must daily for healthy skin. If not, you’ll be left with dull, lifeless skin.